Dignowity Hill is one of San Antonio’s first residential-based suburban neighborhoods. Czech immigrant and physician, Dr. Anthony Michael Dignowity, laid the foundation of his house on an east hill and named it Harmony House. During the 19th century, that name became Dignowity Hill to reputable business owners and merchants.
Also, one of the reasons Dignowity is a prominent residential area is because of its high-altitude geographical position to downtown. Speaking of the location proximity, the arrival of the railroad in 1877 made Dignowity’s neighborhood more diverse and friendlier for business owners.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the north and west side of the Dignowity was practically swarming with commerce. By the end of the 1930s, the popularity of Victorian design homes became the main attraction of the neighborhood, which now connects to Sherman Street on the north side.